TIME : 50 MINUTES
TEXTBOOK : SNAPSHOT
CLASS LEVEL : PRE - INTERMEDIATE
TOPIC: THE COCA STORY
SKILLS: reading, writing, speaking,
LANGUAGE FOCUS: Summary writing
AIMS : by the end of the lesson the students will be able to:
- Answer to the comprehension questions
- Write a summary of The Coca Cola Story
AIDS : worksheets,blackboard,chalk,Coca/Cola bottles,cans .
WARMING - UP : T greets the students and asks them how are they feeling,checks the homework and asks the students to correct their mistakes.
ACTIVITY 1 :
AIMS : to introduce the students into the new topic, talk about their favourite drink
INTERACTION : T - S
Teacher asks the students what is their favourite drink or if they have ever drunk Coke.
T asks the students what colour does it have and what
's its taste.
Eg : What kind of drink is Coke ?
Is it an alcoholic drink or a soft one?
Do you know what ingredients does it contain?
T shows the students some bottles and cans of Coke.
ACTIVITY 2 :
AIMS : Answering the comprehension questions after reading the story of Coca - Cola
INTERACTION : S - S / T- S
PROCEDURE : T asks the students to read the text "The Coca - Cola Story" and answer the following questions :
- Who was John S. Pemberton and where did he live?
- What was he good at?
- Why did he start working on a new drink ?
- What were the different steps in the creation of the new drink?
- Where was it sold first and how much did it cost?
- Who found a name for it and why was it given that name?
- Was the drink an immediate success?
- What happened when Pemberton became ill?
- What did Mr. Candler do?
- Why do you think Coca-Cola was so successful?
- Is it a popular drink only in the states ?
- Why do you think it is considered a symbol of America?
The students have to answer in writing.
AIMS: To write a summary of "The Coca-Cola Story"
PROCEDURE : T asks the students to write the summary of the story.
T asks them not to look at the original text again.
They could start like this :
An unknown American chemist was lucky enough to invent the most fabulous of all fizzy drinksÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ Image source : freeschoolclipart.com