What is an antibiotic?
|Q:||Ask a Question about What is an antibiotic?|
The use of antibiotics has meant that many diseases that were usually fatal can now be cured.
Antibiotics work by damaging bacterial reproduction rather than killing the bacteria outright, and so it is important to take the full course of the drug. Often you will feel better within a couple of days of starting treatment, but if you stop too soon the bacteria can recover. When you keep taking the drug, after several days the bacteria die and are cleared away.
How was penicillin discovered?
Penicillin was the first antibiotic to be discovered, by Alexander Fleming. He was searching for substances that would kill bacteria when he noticed some mould growing on an experimental dish. The mould killed the colonies of bacteria that were growing around it. Penicillin was extracted from this mould, and its use has saved millions of lives. Many other j antibiotics have since been discovered or made artificially.
- What could be done to improve the lives of the elderly? (242 visits)
- Yoga Exercise (169 visits)
- Causes of Pain in Left Arm of Women (113 visits)
- Causes of Sharp Breast Pain (102 visits)
- The Remedy Is Worse Than The Disease (75 visits)
- Causes of Hot Flashes in Young Women (74 visits)
- Early Greek and Roman Medicine (59 visits)
- Healthy Life Habits (57 visits)
- Prevention is Better than Cure (53 visits)
- Uterus Thickening (51 visits)
- Plastic Surgery - For or Against It (50 visits)
- Causes and Symptoms of Low Estrogen Levels (47 visits)
- Children Punishment (40 visits)
- What happens when we sleep? (36 visits)
- Bird Flu
Date Added: 23 December '11
Add a link to this page on any related website, blog or forum using this code :