Where did potatoes, maize and tomatoes come from?
|Q:||Ask a Question about Where did potatoes, maize and tomatoes come from?|
They originated in the Andes, in South America, where they had been cultivated for 1,800 years.
Tomatoes were brought to Europe at about the same time, and were quickly adopted as a basic food by the Spanish and Italians.
In northern Europe, it was a long time before tomatoes were accepted as a safe food because they are close relatives of the poisonous nightshade plants. Maize was also introduced by the early explorers, and is now grown widely.
- Why Do People Immigrate to other Countries? (436 visits)
- Why is literature important in our lives? (424 visits)
- Media Has the Greatest Impact on the Young Generation (289 visits)
- The Difference Between a Myth and a Legend (233 visits)
- The benefits and dangers of television (232 visits)
- A Good Teacher is a Strict Teacher (224 visits)
- Children Today Are Given Too Much Freedom (189 visits)
- Travel in the Middle Ages Britain (187 visits)
- Reading Is To the Mind What Exercise Is To the Body (175 visits)
- Should Children Be Allowed to Get Jobs? (158 visits)
- Why is Everyone Different (147 visits)
- The McCarthy Witch Hunts (144 visits)
- Mass Media Have Both Harmful and Beneficial Effects (142 visits)
Date Added: 15 December '11
Add a link to this page on any related website, blog or forum using this code :