Which are the highest mountains in the world?
|Q:||Ask a Question about Which are the highest mountains in the world?|
The Andes Mountains in South America cover a larger area but are not so high. The Himalayas contain 79 peaks that are over 7,500 m high. The highest of these is Mount Everest, which is 8,863 m high. At these altitudes, mountains are always covered in snow and ice, and there is little oxygen to breathe.
Although Mount Everest is the tallest mountain when measured from sea level, Mauna Kea in Hawaii is actually the tallest if measured from its base.
It reaches 5,818 m below the surface of the Pacific Ocean. From its base to its peak, Mauna Kea is 10,023 m high.
- Why Do People Immigrate to other Countries? (436 visits)
- Why is literature important in our lives? (424 visits)
- Media Has the Greatest Impact on the Young Generation (289 visits)
- The Difference Between a Myth and a Legend (233 visits)
- The benefits and dangers of television (232 visits)
- A Good Teacher is a Strict Teacher (224 visits)
- Children Today Are Given Too Much Freedom (189 visits)
- Travel in the Middle Ages Britain (187 visits)
- Reading Is To the Mind What Exercise Is To the Body (175 visits)
- Should Children Be Allowed to Get Jobs? (158 visits)
- Why is Everyone Different (147 visits)
- The McCarthy Witch Hunts (144 visits)
- Mass Media Have Both Harmful and Beneficial Effects (142 visits)
Date Added: 09 December '11
Add a link to this page on any related website, blog or forum using this code :