Who were the Persians?
|Q:||Ask a Question about Who were the Persians?|
The modern name of Iran comes from an Aryan word meaning 'land of the Aryans'.
The Persian emperor Cyrus built a huge empire by conquering all the neighbouring states, extending into Pakistanjurkey, Libya and Egypt and northwards into parts of modem Russia.
Cyrus and his successor, Darius I, set up a highly organized form of government, with local rulers, formal taxation and road building. The Persian Empire reached its greatest size in 500bc. It was eventually conquered by the Macedonian general Alexander the Great in 331bc.
- Why Do People Immigrate to other Countries? (436 visits)
- Why is literature important in our lives? (424 visits)
- Media Has the Greatest Impact on the Young Generation (289 visits)
- The Difference Between a Myth and a Legend (233 visits)
- The benefits and dangers of television (232 visits)
- A Good Teacher is a Strict Teacher (224 visits)
- Children Today Are Given Too Much Freedom (189 visits)
- Travel in the Middle Ages Britain (187 visits)
- Reading Is To the Mind What Exercise Is To the Body (175 visits)
- Should Children Be Allowed to Get Jobs? (158 visits)
- Why is Everyone Different (147 visits)
- The McCarthy Witch Hunts (144 visits)
- Mass Media Have Both Harmful and Beneficial Effects (142 visits)
Date Added: 03 January '12
Add a link to this page on any related website, blog or forum using this code :